Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A test of obedience not just about provision

Exodus 16:4  Then the Lord said to Moses, See, I will send down bread from heaven for you; and the people will go out every day and get enough for the day's needs; so that I may put them to the test to see if they will keep my laws or not.
 
In this text the Lord told Moses that He will provide food for the Israelite.  It is clear in the last part of the verse that the Lord wanted to see whether the Israelite will follow His command.
 
As we know the Israelite were instructed to gather only two quarts of manna.  There were those who took more and some took less but they all had just enough when everyone has finished gathering.  They were also told not to keep any for the next day will be a new provision for everybody.
 
I always thought that manna was a case of provision in the Bible but today as I was reading the Bible the Lord made me realized that it was not about just provision but rather about obedience.
 
Which means that after 3 or 4 books later the Lord took the manna from the Israelite.  Please read text below;
 
Joshua 5:12  And there was no more manna from the day after they had for their food the produce of the land; the children of Israel had manna no longer, but that year the produce of the land of Canaan was their food.
 
Here we can assume that the Lord trust the Israelite especially this generation in terms of following the instructions of the Lord.
 
Now I fully understand the move of the Lord in my life and in the lives of my friends in church.
 
We are in the promise land.

To God be the glory!
 
MPM

No comments:

Post a Comment